Monday, December 8, 2014

I Remember When I Thought Kendrick Lamar Was JUST Another Rapper. Here's Why I Was Wrong.

I Remember When I Thought Kendrick Lamar Was JUST Another Rapper. Here's Why That Changed...



His most recent single, "i" has brought performing and the cannon of Hip Hop music to new heights. In the midst of all that is going on, the world needs to hear and see a man of color proclaiming to the world that he loves himself. Who does he think he is?

I remember thinking "who is this" when I saw him live. I was front and center at the 2011 SpelHouse homecoming thinking; it must be just another rapper. Blah, blah, cars, money, women...etc.

Even when his and my jam Poetic Justice blazed the radios last year I thought-oh that's Kendrick from our homecoming! Look at him being cute- appreciating women and still being lyrically talented...and stuff.

BUT after watching the SNL performance I could not stop thinking about this man. This song plays in my head, every other day. I had to blog about it. I first saw it on my Facebook page. Someone posted it and captioned "The ancestors would be proud." I am sure they would be. I haven't seen a rapper perform with this much purpose since...since...well, I don't know.  Along with the fact that it samples a track from The Isley Brothers (one of my favorite groups), starts off with a dedication to those in the "homies in the penitentiary", or that it makes me feel like dancing and singing along and out loud to the world that I LOVE MYSELF! I don't know what to like more about this song. The delivery or the content. Well done, sir.


THANK YOU KENDRICK LAMAR. THANK YOU.


..And I don't get any coins for this, but BUY IT:



BTW, WHO are those BACK UP SINGERS?????

No comments: