It has been said that you have to live with yourself for the rest of your life so you may as well learn to love who you are...
This being the case, I realize that this is true when it comes to not only loving yourself but also when it comes to competing. Lately I have been trying to get back in the gym and reach the health level that I desire. The trainer who holds a "boot-camp" training session always compares me to his top client (I just started last week) I must admit that it kind of annoyed me because it placed an "imaginary" competition in my head. And while (friendly) competition with others can be good sometimes, the truth is I'm not there to compete against anyone except myself. While I am inspired by the image of what I looked like when I was at my peak fitness level (high school cheerleading days), I still have to decide to do the work for ME.
I remember vividly when me and my late best-friend Mariah went to the gym. We both got on the treadmill and I was trying to tell her something-- and she really wasn't hearing it. She said in her funny little teachers voice "Don't talk to me, I have to focus on what I'm doing." She knew that she was the only person who was in the way of accomplishing her treadmill time that day. It was like that in every area in her life. She inspired me to stay in my own lane.
I also remember when I won my first local level pageant. Vividly, I can still hear my momma's voice saying "Just do it to have fun...don't worry about the competition." I enjoyed myself and ended up winning the title because I did it for the fun, and for me. When you do things for other peoples' approval and you feel like you have failed, it almost crushes your self worth, twice. It wasn't even for you, AND you failed the effort.
Once you realize that no matter what you want do whether it's a pageant, a dream of starting a business, or a fitness goal that there is nobody who is in the way of that except you. You are the only person who has been with you every second of your life, making every decision.
Last week I told someone "I'm debating if I want to go train today." He replied "What chu' mean debating?"
At that moment a light bulb went off. If I am debating within myself. I answer to myself. Then I am the only person who can truly compete, against myself.
To Compete With Yourself,
Realize that:
1. You are the question and the answer, the competitor and the competition.
2. You are the only person who can bring out or develop the most authentic version of you.
3. Loving yourself where you are right now, with all that you have is the most important step in all of this.
I believe that constantly challenging yourself to develop into a better version of you is one of Gods' highest callings on our lives. To live, facing what he placed in our mirrors.

No comments:
Post a Comment